Fever... fever again...

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Charmaine is now lying besides me on the bed, receiving her daily dose of antibiotics and GCSF.

We were discharged on Monday but barely 24 hours later on Tuesday, her fever spiked up to 38.5 and I had to rush her down to NUH. I was really worried but at the same time somewhat frustrated with the darn fever. I had explicitly wish that she wouldnt get any fever this time around because of the upcoming surgery and too little time for Char to play with Kor Kor. But alas, have you ever felt as 'jinxed' as I am when it comes to wishing for something? I am mad at myself for saying out aloud my wish because I am pretty sure I jinxed Char and caused the fever!...

Anyway, this bout of fever is another new or rather different experience. She need not be warded! Well, yes NUH has no beds too. However, it really is no fault of NUH or any hospital for not having enough or no beds. There are simply too many kids suffering from cancer. And I am very ashamed to say that had Charmaine not been part of the community of childhood cancers, I would never have realized this fact.

So I digress. Back to the difference for this treatment of Char's fever. Thankfully, Char's neutrophils count is above 1, we need not be admitted. :-) Instead, we have to travel to NUH daily for her infusion of antibiotics. Spend a couple of hours, back and forth for 3 days. Its good because Char gets to see Kor Kor everyday. Also, Char doesnt have to live with the fear of injection daily for her GCSF because I requested for the nurses to give the injection into the burette instead! Thank goodness, it is do-able in NUH because in KKH, the injections have to be given on the arm even when we are admitted and Char was already hooked up on the portacath. [I do not wish to discuss the differences in nursing protocols - not my expertise at all]

Nonetheless, the frequent travelling means that I basically have little time to try and sort out the other challenges...

Written on Thursday 4th June 2009 in Outpatient Ward, NUH.

Please do continue to pray for my little princess as her operation date is nearing...
Thank you so much.

Love,
Cyn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:( i'm also a cancer patient in kkh but i've finished chemo.

Anonymous said...

I am sure anybody who reads your blog will pray for little Charmaine.

 
Feisty Princess Charmaine. Design by Pocket